This post isn’t about big life-changing good advice — I am zero qualified, as messy as my house, brain and life is. This is about non earthshaking advice that’s made my life better, from magazines sometimes, but mostly from people I know that are way smarter and together than I am. I love you and I thank you.
- The only color of mascara to buy is black.
- Keep your ginger in the freezer — it keeps perfectly, which doesn’t in the depths of a vegetable drawer.
- Argentinian Malbec is huge tasting and underpriced.
- Thank you, Delia Smith: To make insanely rich, flaky pastry, grate frozen butter into the flour. Trust me.
- Learn to pick up your pie dough on a rolling pin.
- Thank you, Jacques Pepin: Keep your whole chicken from bopping up above the poaching water by enclosing it in an upside down colander.
- From Mummy: Never ever buy an article of clothing unless you’re seriously mad for it. Then buy it, right away.
- From Nonna: You need to use a black pan to make pizza.
- From Dave: Drop the adverbs, push the narrative.
- Gulp water when you’re ascending or descending on a flight –it will keep your ears open.
- Pennies make awesome pie weights.
- Mummy: always make dessert. Every night
- You learn more from your children than they learn from you.
- Honor: Always wear sunscreen — at least in SoCal.
- Daddy: Cling to your intellectual life, your family life, your impeccable wardrobe, no matter how grim life is.
- Keep up with your friends. Not only are they life connections, they offer love and advice.
- Studs Terkel: Take it easy, but take it.
I’d love to hear your advice, on any and every subject from lingerie to Life.